Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, November 06, 2006

Today I met my boy...


What is it like to meet your son for the first time after you have been looking at only a picture for five months? I cannot begin to tell you. I'll just show you:

Me and D.J. shortly after we met

Look at my handsome son

With D.J.'s foster mom

At 3:00 today, I went to the Holt offices in Seoul to meet Dong Joon for the first time. I got there 20 minutes early and nervously paced around the meeting room. Then I saw Dong Joon's foster mother come in - I knew it was her from the video we had received. She saw me, pointed and said something to D.J. in Korean. I don't speak Korean, but I did recognize one word, "Umma," which means "Mama." She was telling him that I was his Mama!

When she handed him to me, he looked kind of confused. But then he saw my hair and started to pull. In the other hand, he was carrying the stuffed dog we had sent him two months ago. His foster mom said it was his favorite toy - he never goes anywhere without it! She also had a lot of things to give me, including a hanbok, a traditional Korean dress, for D.J. Then she surprised me further - she also bought a hanbok for Veronica! She thought the pictures of Veronica were so cute so she had to get her some clothes, too. And the biggest treat of all were two photo albums filled with pictures of D.J. I now have something to show him of his life with his foster family.

After a long conversation with the social worker, I learned a lot about my son. They tell me he is a happy child who loves people and being around other children. He is crawling and getting into drawers. He loves rice with soybean paste. His foster mom sings hymns to him when he gets fussy. I am overwhelmed with all this information, but I am just so happy to finally be able to hold my little boy.

We went to see the doctor and D.J. received a clean bill of health. We talked a lot about her concerns about his prematurity, but she was happy to find out that we have preemie experience. He will be placed in my custody tomorrow at 2:00 pm. It was hard to leave him today, but at least I will have time to prepare myself and get some baby supplies before I have him!!

I have a lot more to say, but it's hard to put all my feelings into words right now. Today was just amazing.

4 comments:

snoopyjoanne said...

oh he is so cute! lots of thick dark hair too! adorable. you must be overjoyed...i'm so happy for you!

Candy said...

Oh Portia!! I'm soooo happy for you. D.J. looks too cute and I can't wait to hear all about him. I, too, love that you have 2 scrapbooks of photos. What an incredible gift!!

Julie said...

Your photos and story are beautiful!! I'm crying tears of joy for you right now! I'm so happy that you made it Korea. Good luck on the plane ride home and getting every one adjusted. Post when you can!!

Frauntene McLarney said...

Portia!

I have been reading the past few days and am so excited to get to see PICTURES!! He is gorgeous, and sounds like he has had a wonderful foster mother. I can't wait to hear the conclusion tomorrow, but how great that today went so well!